Friday 3 April 2020

Buddy - My Praying Mantis

Hey everyone,
I am back! Lockdown has been pretty boring for everyone but I have my fish, cats and new praying mantis. I found him/her (I call it a boy) outside on our cabbage tree and have had him for a couple of weeks now. He has him own container the correct size with holes in the lid. It has dirt at the bottom with sticks to climb on and fruit-flies and aphids to eat.
My Mum said he might like to be set free so I thought about it for a few days and decided it was best to set him free. So, I went to put him by some bugs on our lettuce plant but he didn't go onto the lettuce. He walked straight back up my arm! He wanted to stay with me! He has just recently molted and he can walk across a rope upside down like a tightrope. He can also jump from one paper cup to the other if I put food on one of the cups. I'm going to train him to jump really far and enter him in a talent show!

In one of these photos, I was taking a photo of him on my hand. Then, once I had taken the photo, he randomly pounced onto my keyboard! Here are a few photos and videos of him:








I just researched that about his gender and it turns out he is a boy!

Ok, bye for now! If you have any free time, please leave a comment. Blog you later!

8 comments:

  1. Heya Jaimie,
    I can't believe you have all of those pets! It's really funny how he wanted to stay with you. It looks like he doesn't want to leave. It's awesome how you are looking after Buddy. Have you ever looked after a praying mantis before? I haven't.

    It was great to hear from you, Jaimie. Have an awesome week with Buddy and stay safe. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rael, I haven't looked after a praying mantis before but I think he does enjoy my company. You could catch one too. They're easy to find.
      Blog you later
      Jaimie:)

      Delete
  2. Yay great to hear from you Jaimie. That is very creative of you having a Praying Mantis as a pet. They are such interesting creatures. If you have seen E.T. the movie they fashioned the Alien on a Praying Mantis head. It is an old movie from the 70's so you may not have seen it. It is great you have researched him, maybe you could tell us more about them or about some of the other things you have been doing during lockdown. It feels like the world has gone to sleep this afternoon. Kia atawhai Kia kaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jamie, it sounds like you've done a lot of research about how to look after your new friend. Ka pai! It sounds like he's an inquisitive creature. Does he have a name? Maybe you could make a poster of praying mantis facts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jaimie I'm Aamena from Manukau. Wow! That's a nice creature! Have you named him or not? But it was a great post! Please vist my blog on wpsaamenas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there Jaimie, how wonderful that you are spending time with not just the humans in your bubble, but with your animals too. We have a lot of praying mantis' in our garden, I have met quite a few of them as I have been weeding, but I wouldn't be able to tell you any facts about them - maybe you can enlighten me? For me, the time Paul and I have been spending with the boys, has been wonderful. They have become even more snuggly, staying nearby to us wherever we go in the house or garden. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your lock down experience over the next few weeks. Take care and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow cool mantis Jaimie

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.